IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY.
The DeGroote PainHQ Website (Website) provides direct access to trusted, evidence-based information about neuropathic pain. The Website is maintained by McMaster University.
The Website aims to be a trusted voice on neuropathic pain for patients, caregivers, the general public and clinicians; and also promote user-generated content such as comments/posts, sharing of stories, and reviews and ratings of educational resources directed at patients. PainHQ includes three key features described below:
- Learning Centre, providing access to educational content and information in multiple formats related to neuropathic pain (signs and symptoms, related conditions, treatments) and the best available research evidence on neuropathic pain (and, when possible, a plain-language summary of the evidence). This includes the following learning content/formats:
- Videos and e-Learning, with multimedia presentations and explanations;
- Knowledge Base, a searchable ‘encyclopedia’ of various neuropathic pain conditions with text and visuals;
- Resources, member and expert reviewed and rated consumer-friendly resources such as books, websites, videos, podcasts, apps and more;
- Webinars, both live and archived recordings of presentations from experts on a variety of topics that registered members can participate in (live) or view (archived recordings);
- PainPLUS articles and links, the latest research evidence on pain and neuropathic pain from the world renowned McMasterPLUS ‘knowledge refinery’ of the Health Information Research Unit at McMaster University;
- Blog posts, from patients, caregivers and experts, some of which will contain summaries of the research evidence written in plain language.
- Sharing Centre, providing access to various social media components or user-generated content opportunities, such as:
- Comment on the content on the site, such as blog posts or knowledge base entries;
- Share stories through the blog or discussion forums; Submit a question, topic or resource suggestion;
- Submit a question, topic or resource suggestion;
- Rate and review resources;
- Share videos or e-learning content;
- Follow us on Twitter or other social media channels;
- Provide feedback on the Website.
- Get Involved, providing additional opportunities for people to engage in improving and extending the features of the Website or related initiatives, including:
- Register for a PainHQ membership;
- Become a PainHQ ‘ambassador’ to help raise awareness about the Website;
- Work with us to develop additional content or improve existing content;
- Donate to help fund the sustainability of the Website or related initiatives;
The Website also provides opportunities to customize your interactions by signing up for email alerts and regular e-newsletters, as well as opportunities to learn about and get engaged in a variety of knowledge translation activities such as webinars. More details about the Website and its features are available in the About Us section and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of this Website.
USE OF WEBSITE. Information made available on the Website in any form is for information purposes only. It is not intended to provide professional medical, legal or medico-legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute thereof. You should not use any information contained on the Website as a substitute for consultation with legal or healthcare professionals or other professional advisors. You should not act or abstain from acting based upon information obtained from the Website without first consulting appropriate professional advisors. Except where stated otherwise, you are prohibited from reproducing in any way any element of this Website. You may download on a single computer and print a single copy of portions of any content from this Website for non-commercial purposes only. The Website operations may be interrupted or suspended. Regardless of the reason, McMaster will not be liable for any damage arising out of changes to information, or the interruption or suspension of Website operations.
LINKS TO THIS WEBSITE. You may link to this Website for non-commercial purposes only, unless otherwise prohibited by this Agreement, provided that (i) the text of the link accurately describes the content as it appears on the Website, and (ii) each page within the Website is displayed in full, unaltered and with no additional frames, style features, designs, logos, branding, trade-marks or other promotional materials. Unless otherwise expressly provided, McMaster shall not be considered associated or affiliated with, or to endorse or approve in any way, any third parties or sites that link to this Website. McMaster reserves the right to disable any links or frames at any time, or revoke this permission. If you wish to link, cache or frame any part of this Website in a manner not authorized in this Agreement, you must obtain the prior written consent of McMaster University (see “Contact Us” below).
Re-posting content or images from this Website on other websites, or framing pages from this Website within another website is not permitted (open in a new window instead). Links to this website are not permitted without providing appropriate credit. You may use the following lead-in sentence with your text link to this Website:
McMaster’s PainHQ is an online community for individuals dealing with neuropathic pain, offering high-quality education & evidence-based information.
CONTENT. All materials displayed or otherwise accessible through this Website, including but not limited to text, graphics, videos, photos, trademarks, logos and other materials (collectively, “Content”) are protected by copyright and trademark laws, and are owned by McMaster and its licensors, or the party accredited as the provider of the Content. The material on this Website is covered by the provisions of the Copyright Act (Canada) and by other applicable laws, policies, regulations and international agreements that address intellectual property rights. Such provisions serve to identify the information source and, in specific instances, to prohibit reproduction of materials without written permission. Except as granted in the limited licence herein, any use of the Content, including modification, transmission, presentation, distribution, republication, or other exploitation of the Website or of its Content, whether in whole or in part, is prohibited without the express prior written consent of McMaster. McMaster and its affiliated parties respect the intellectual property of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact us to relay your concerns (see “Contact Us” below). By using the Website, you may be exposed to content and/or material that is offensive, indecent or objectionable. McMaster University is not responsible for other Content posted or transmitted through the Website via other users of the Website. You must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any Content. You may not rely on any Content created by us. You acknowledge and agree that we may preserve Content and may also disclose Content if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce these Terms; (c) respond to claims that any Content violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect our rights, property, or personal safety and those of our users and the public. You acknowledge that, with the exception of comments posted on blogs and discussion forums, we do not pre-screen Content, but that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) to refuse, move or delete any Content that is available via the Website. McMaster reserves the right to remove any Content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable in our sole discretion.
YOUR CONTENT. The Website also provides features for registered ‘Members’ which allow you to post your Content to designated areas on the Website. “Your Content” means material (including, without limitation, text, images, audio material, video material and audio-visual material) that you submit to our website, for whatever purpose. Your Content is the sole responsibility of the person from which such Content originated. You are responsible for Your Content that you upload, post, transmit or otherwise make available on the Website.
You represent and warrant that (i) you are the owner of or have the right to use Your Content, (ii) Your Content is true and accurate, and (iii) Your Content will not cause injury, damage, embarrassment or harm to any person or entity. Your Content must not contravene the privacy rights of others or be defamatory, libelous, pornographic, fraudulent, discriminatory, infringing, plagiarizing, false, misleading, impersonating, or otherwise illegal, offensive, hateful, obscene, threatening, bullying, abusive, profane, or in poor taste. Your Content must not upload, post, link to, or transmit any material which constitutes a virus, spyware, adware, malware, worm, or other harmful component, or any other code, file or program designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer or telecommunications system or equipment. Your Content must not be used for purposes of promoting or advertising any goods or services, for soliciting funds, or for any political purpose. McMaster reserves the right to remove any of Your Content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable in our sole discretion. McMaster is not responsible for any loss or theft of, or damage to, Your Content. You grant McMaster a worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, adapt, publish, translate and distribute Your Content in any existing or future media. You also grant to us the right to sub-license these rights and the right to bring an action for infringement of these rights.
LIMITED LICENCE. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, you are hereby granted a limited revocable non-exclusive licence to access, view and use the Website for your non-commercial use, and are granted the right to download, store and print single copies of items comprising the Content for your non-commercial use, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such Content.
FEES AND PAYMENTS. Users from Canada and from low-and middle-income countries have a free, non-exclusive licence to use this Website. McMaster reserves the right to charge licensing, registration or user fees in the future for certain categories of users or types of use of this Website.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. Subject to applicable law, in no event shall McMaster and its partners, employees, consultants, agents or licensors be liable for damages of any kind including, without limitation, any direct, special, indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages including, without limitation, any loss or damages in the nature of or relating to lost business, lost savings, lost data and/or lost profits arising from your use of, reliance upon, or inability to use the Website or the Content, regardless of the cause and whether arising in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise. The foregoing limitation shall apply even if McMaster knew of or ought to have known of the possibility of such damages.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. The Website and the Content is provided “as is” and “as available”, without warranty or condition of any kind, either express or implied. McMaster expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions, including any statutory or implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, quiet enjoyment or non-infringement in respect to the Website and the Content, to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law. While McMaster endeavours to provide Content that is correct, accurate and timely, no representations or warranties are made regarding the Website and/or the Content including, without limitation, McMaster provides no representation or warranty that (i) the Website or Content will be accurate, reliable, complete, current, timely or suitable for any particular purpose, (ii) that the operation of the Website will be uninterrupted or error-free, (iii) that defects or errors in the Website or the Content will be corrected, (iv) that the Website will be free from viruses, malware, worms or other harmful components, and (v) that communications to or from the Website will be secure and/or not intercepted. You acknowledge and agree that you are using the Website and the Content, if applicable, at your own risk and liability.
RELEASE AND INDEMNITY. You hereby agree to release McMaster and its partners, employees, consultants, agents and licensors from, and in no event shall any or all of McMaster and its partners, employees, consultants, agents or licensors be liable to you or any other person or entity, for any and all liabilities and damages (including any direct, indirect, special, exemplary or consequential damages, including lost profits) whatsoever arising from your use of the Website (including any breach by you thereof), the Content or otherwise relating to this Agreement and you agree that your sole remedy for any claim, loss, damage, costs or expenses is to cease using the Website. You will indemnify and hold harmless McMaster and its partners, employees, consultants, agents or licensors from and against any claims, losses, judgments, damages, costs and expenses (including without limitation, reasonable legal fees) incurred by any of them due to or resulting from your use of the Website, the Content or otherwise relating to this Agreement (including any breach by you thereof). You will also indemnify and hold harmless McMaster and its partners, employees, consultants, agents or licensors from and against any claims brought by third parties arising out of your use of the Website or its Content.
REGISTRATION. Registration allows you to sign up to receive alerts about new research evidence or newly rated resources, post comments and participate in discussion forums. To register, you agree that you will i) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by any registration form; and (ii) maintain and promptly update the information to ensure it remains true, accurate, current and complete. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and account, and for all activities that occur under your account. In consideration of use of the Website, you agree to maintain and update true, accurate, current and complete Registration Data. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or if McMaster has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we may suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Website or any portion thereof. Individuals under the age of 18 are prohibited from creating or using accounts through the Website.
By checking the box next to the ‘subscribe to e-newsletter’ field on your user profile, you are giving McMaster your consent to receive email alerts.
If you are using the Website features to post comments about blogs and to contribute to online forums, you agree to provide a required public profile name (this can be the same or different from your salutation). You may have the option of providing your social media contacts (e.g., Facebook, Twitter addresses) as well as an Avatar that you can be identified by when you make submissions to the online community.
The information gathered during your activities on the Website may be aggregated with that of other users so that we can make decisions about how to improve the Website. The information collected will not be linked to specific individuals but will be accessed in aggregate form. Your statistical information may also be used for research purposes, e.g., to validate the effectiveness of a learning program, but in all such circumstances will remain anonymous. Aside from the foregoing uses, the information you provide and any other information, will be protected and used in compliance with Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (RSO 1990) and will be disclosed only in accordance with this Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not want a cookie placed on your computer by McMaster, you may disable cookies in the web browser configuration options. Note that it is possible that some aspects of the Website may be unavailable to you if this option is chosen.
PASSWORDS. Any passwords and user IDs used for this Website are for individual use only. You will be responsible for the security of your password and user ID (if any), and you are responsible for all activities that occur under your User Name and Password. You agree to notify McMaster immediately of any unauthorized use of your Password or account or any other breach of security. McMaster will be entitled to monitor your password and user ID and, at its discretion, require you to change it. If you use a password that McMaster considers insecure, McMaster will be entitled to require the password to be changed and/or terminate your account. You further agree that McMaster will not be responsible for the unauthorized use of your profile by any other person and is under no obligation to confirm the actual identity of any password or user ID. McMaster cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these provisions.
EXTERNAL SERVICE PROVIDERS. To effectively operate its websites, McMaster occasionally uses external service providers which may be located within Canada or outside Canada, and may be outside your jurisdiction of residence. Such service providers are bound by contract with McMaster to treat any personal information they may receive in a manner that is consistent with the provisions of applicable privacy laws.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about how external service providers handle personal information, you may wish to direct them to email@example.com.
USER-GENERATED CONTENT. The Website includes or may include a number of features that facilitate online communication among a community of patients/general public, caregivers and professionals, for example:
- a blog section, where experts selected by McMaster post entries related to key topics of interest for neuropathic pain (such as related causal conditions and treatment options), and where users of the portal can post comments, a patient stories section, where patients and caregivers share some of their experiences related to neuropathic pain,
- a patient stories section, where patients and caregivers share some of their experiences related to neuropathic pain,a discussion forum or forums where users of the Website hold peer-moderated or otherwise moderated online conversations about matters of interest to them and the communities they represent,
- a discussion forum or forums where users of the Website hold peer-moderated or otherwise moderated online conversations about matters of interest to them and the communities they represent,reviews and ratings of resources, such as books, websites, podcasts, videos and other types of content related to neuropathic pain,
- reviews and ratings of resources, such as books, websites, podcasts, videos and other types of content related to neuropathic pain, comments, ratings or surveys related to topics in the knowledge base,
- comments, ratings or surveys related to topics in the knowledge base, webinars, where participants may post questions or comments in a ‘chat pod’ or using voice communications such as telephone or VoIP.
- webinars, where participants may post questions or comments in a ‘chat pod’ or using voice communications such as telephone or VoIP.
Content Submission Guidelines
We welcome Your Content submissions. For Website features that permit this, comments are open and welcome for variable intervals, and moderated as described below. When submitting Your Content, you understand that it is prohibited to:
- engage in activities that prevent other users from using and enjoying the Website, interfere or attempt to interfere with the functionality of the Website, or do anything, which in the sole discretion of the Owner, imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Website infrastructure;
- provide or send any unlawful, abusive, defamatory, or obscene information of any kind, including, without limitation, any submission that could constitute or encourage conduct that would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, provincial, territorial, national, or international law or regulation;
- post any content that is offensive or that could expose an individual or a group of individuals to hatred or contempt based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or mental or physical disability;
- provide or send any submission, including, without limitation, articles, images, software, stories, or other material, which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights, or which is protected by any intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, copyright, patent, trade secret, trademark, or other proprietary rights herein, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the Owner or rights holder;
- post or transmit any submission which contains a virus or other harmful component;
- post or transmit “junk mail,” “chain letters,” unsolicited mass mailing, or “spam”; and
- use or "mine" the Website for any type of commercial venture, including, without limitation, posting, uploading, or transmitting submissions that contain advertising, involve commercial activities, solicitations or sales, or that involve contests, sweepstakes, advertising, and pyramid schemes.
Moderation of content submissions. Your submission to the Website will be moderated. That means that we read it before it is published to make sure it adheres to the Content Submission Guidelines provided above. We will do our best to get it up promptly. To ensure that Your Content is posted, we ask that you follow the Content Submission Guidelines. We use a variety of moderation techniques including pre-moderation (before publishing), post-moderation (after publishing) and reactive moderation (in response to concerns). McMaster reserves the right to remove any content that does not adhere to the Guidelines. While every effort will be made to ensure that submissions and postings abide by the Guidelines, McMaster is not responsible for the postings of individual users.
If you think someone else's content violates the Content Submission Guidelines, you can alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will investigate and act accordingly.
SECURITY. Any information sent or received over the Internet is generally not secure and may be intercepted, lost or altered. McMaster cannot guarantee the security of any communication to or from the Website. McMaster does not assume any responsibility or risk for your use of the Internet.
GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION. The Website is operated by McMaster within the Province of Ontario, Canada. By accessing or using the Website, you agree that all matters relating to your access to, or use of, the Website and its Content shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein, without regard to conflict of laws principles. You agree and hereby submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario with respect to all matters relating to your access to and use of the Website.
TERMINATION. McMaster may, in its sole discretion, cancel or terminate your right to use the Website or any part of the Website, at any time without notice. In the event of termination, you are no longer authorized to access the Website or the part of the Website affected by such cancellation or termination. The restrictions imposed on you with respect to both Content and the Website set out in this Agreement shall survive. McMaster shall not be liable to any party for such termination.
ENTIRE AGREEMENT. Except for any agreement in respect of Content, this is the entire agreement between you and McMaster relating to your access and use of the Website and the Content herein.
GENERAL. If any term or provision of this Agreement is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, it shall be severed and the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect without being invalidated in any way. You may not assign, convey, subcontract or delegate your rights, duties or obligations hereunder. McMaster will not be considered to have waived any of its rights or remedies described in this Agreement unless the waiver is in writing and signed by McMaster. No delay or omission by McMaster in exercising its rights or remedies will impair McMaster’s rights or be construed as a waiver. Any single or partial exercise of a right or remedy will not preclude further exercise of any other right or remedy. McMaster’s failure to enforce the strict performance of any provision of this Agreement will not constitute a waiver of McMaster’s right to subsequently enforce such provision or any other provisions of this Agreement. The headings used in this Agreement are included for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect.
CONTACT US. If you have any questions regarding the terms and conditions of this Agreement you may direct them to us by email at email@example.com, or use the ‘Contact Us’ form on the Website.